Saturday, August 14, 2010

Blue Lacuna Source Code

Something I meant to do a long time ago, before grad school intervened: the source code to Blue Lacuna is now publicly available as a browseable webpage, downloadable PDF, and compileable archive.

The archive contains all of the extensions necessary to compile, including snapshotted versions of third-party extensions as they existed at the time of its release, as well as all of the internal extensions I used when creating it. You'll need to use an older release, Inform 5Z71, to compile. Other instructions and snafus can be found in the archive zip file.

I'd originally planned to also offer the source in the printed book form I showed off at PAX East, but a frustrating series of technical difficulties with various print-on-demand publishers has led me to give up on this project for now. This may be for the best: I don't expect Progue would care much for being immortalized in the form of a dead tree, anyway.

My goal in distributing the source is not to model well-written Inform code, which it certainly is not: I was learning the language as I went along. Rather, I hope it will be of use and interest both as a record of the story's creation and a window into the pathways and choices not taken in your own traversal.

In this same spirit, I've also posted an archive of bonus material related to this project's three-year design process. This includes some of my original design notes, early versions of the source code, world-building exercises, and collected reference images.

With these two things out of the way, I'm hoping to finally move Blue Lacuna out of my "active projects" directory where it's been lingering for well over a year and a half now. Bigger and better things are coming soon!

...well, at least better things.

4 comments:

Juhana said...

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing the code!

Fran said...

I join in thanking you for sharing the code. Greetings from Spain!

Al said...

You did not include "Episodes" so right now the game can not be compiled.

Aaron A. Reed said...

Al: Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've added "Episodes" to the extensions in the zipped project file and updated code elsewhere to work with this. I've tested the project file more thoroughly on a clean computer now and gotten it to compile, so hopefully that should be the only show-stopping problem.