Thursday, July 12, 2007

Completed: one outline.

The skeleton of Lacuna is now complete. It's now possible to advance the game machinery from the opening flash-forward prologue all the way to the final epilogue. Good work, me! I'm going to try as hard as possible to forget about the fact that I originally intended to get it finished over a weekend in April.

Progue's new mental workings are programmed, if not made use of in the code yet. Much of the outline makes use of "meta-Progue," who just asks you the outcome of a scene, somewhat disconcertingly ("We either can become friends or I can start disliking you," he chummily summarizes). Two things I want to add immediately to the skeleton are a whole bunch of Progue conversations with this one-paragraph level of detail, so that I can actually roughly simulate the ability of the player to manipulate the relationship with Progue over time, and a "Progue's Head" control room to allow me to adjust any of Progue's variables for testing purposes. On a larger scale, I also need to work out a system that will allow me to jump to any point in the game with all appropriate conditions and variables set, and also probably rework things so that I can easily comment major chunks of the code on and off without breaking things elsewhere. (Right now there are a lot of cross-references, so it's not as easy as it should be to do).

I feel like the four-ton boulder has finally started rolling again.

No comments: